Saturday, December 20, 2008

Organizing Practice

Coaches,

After a coach evaluates their team, its time to set up an effective practice plan. The following are some questions that a coach shall ask themselves in order to create an outstanding practice plan:

What are my team's strengths and weaknesses?
What positions do my most talented athletes play?
Can I move my more talented players in the positions that require the most skill?
Do some players posses certain strengths that lend well to certain positions? What are the ages of my players?
Attention spans?
What kind of facilities do I have access to and what condition are they in?
What kind of financial commitment can I expect from my families? Travel?
What equipment do I need or have access to?
Do I have other parents that could possibly help?
What are my strengths or weaknesses as a coach?
Health of players and weather conditions?
Practice flow? Time constraints?


These are just some questions that coaches should ask themselves. I would also like to give coaches some tips that I learned over the years that had helped me develop players of all ages.

Practice should be arranged so that their is a constant flow, no standing around
Fundamentals should be stressed at every level
Skills should be broken down into its simplest techniques and terms
Going over something once does not mean player mastery
Players must go over a technique and skill numerous times and in varying situations in order to ensure proper learning
Coaches should lecture very little and get players actively involved quickly
Players attention spans are limited based on their age
Learning involves connecting new information with old information
We encourage learning and development by constant, consistent praise, careful evaluation, considerate and constructive feedback. When developing your practice plan it is important to keep track all of the things your team covers in order to track the progress your team is making and adjust your practice plan accordingly.


Greg Green
http://www.teachingcoaches.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment